Fast food workers walked off the job this week because they mistakenly think they should be paid $15/hour for working at McDonalds. Most employees making minimum wage earn that because they are high school students or unskilled/uneducated workers. These people do not deserve $15/hour for several reasons. People with a strong skill set and education are struggling to make $15/hour. There will always be an uneducated workforce, and raising the minimum wage only serves to erode the buying power of those that have worked to become educated or develop the skills to maximum their earning power. If Little Caeser’s has to pay $15/hour to their employees I will not be able to buy a pizza for $5. I would then have to pay $10-12 for the same pizza. People love to talk about the cost of living for those employees, but raising their pay severely cuts my pay. I earned a college degree and have held several professional licenses, which cost me a lot of time and money. Why should a 15 year old get a 200% pay raise and I get a 50% pay cut? I have worked to try and better my situation. What has the 15 year old done? For you hippies that want to try and bring up adults that work minimum wage jobs, most of them don’t have the tools to secure high paying jobs in a good economy. Rewarding this group with higher pay directly punishes me with lower buying power, not to mention the fact that $15/hour will only buy what $7/hour does now for all people.
Today is my two month mark since surgery. My incision is about 85% healed. The remaining 15% could take up to a year, but I’m cleared to ride, so all is right in the world. My mental balance has been restored. I weighed myself the day of surgery, and I’m one pound lighter now. I guess I know how much a testicle weighs.
I hope I am wrong, but I think BYU is going to lose by at least six points. I think there is too much riding on the game and they won’t show up like they need to do. I would love to see them crush Utah by 40.
I finished journal #68 tonight. Well over 20 years of daily records.
Two weeks ago I had a radical orchiectomy because of suspected testicular cancer. Three ultrasounds and three exams over several months told us it was the best course of action. The sample had to be sent to pathology, but they had to send it to Stanford. At that point we figured it either wasn’t cancer or it was a rare form. I was hoping for rare form so I could hit the talk show circuit and get a free trip to New York. Today my doctor called to give me the crushing news that I wouldn’t be traveling to New York. He didn’t think it was that funny when I asked when he was going to put it back.
Now I just have to be patient and heal from the incision. Yesterday was the first day I felt good since the surgery. Today was better, so I’m encouraged by that. I can take the stairs at work, and soon I should be able to walk without leaning to one side.